Friday, July 29, 2016

Day 179/194

Thursday, Week 26!
Kev came home for a few short hours on his liberty and made my night! It was so nice to open the door and see my handsome cadet! We wrapped up all the packing and Kev helped me move some of the heavy boxes I packed out of the bedroom so I could actually walk around. We are ready to pack the Uhaul now and move into our new home. I am so excited for us!

It sounds like the cadets had a fun day yesterday. Of course, it's fun because it isn't real life, but we always have to remember that sadly this training is to prepare them for real scenarios. Equipped with paintball guns, the cadets were placed in shooting scenarios.  The staff officers were the shooters. Kev and his partner were talking to a "civilian" about a ticket when the shooter came in. Kev said the shooter got him in the leg and then he got a shot on him. Even though the shot would have taken the shooter down, they kept up the scenario and Kev said the Officers got the next shot between his eyes. Kev has a huge bruise on his thigh from the paintball, but thankfully he had goggles on to protect his face.

The story was exciting but in the heels of recent events, it is also a little terrifying. Kev is definitely able to balance the emotion of a good time and an understanding of the underlying lesson of the scenario. We talked about it a little more before he had to head back to the Academy. He told me that on his ride along, he and the other Officer grabbed lunch but drove somewhere safe (a special facility for police breaks) to eat because he was advised that it isn't safe to sit in your car right now when you aren't alert in your surroundings. He didn't tell me that after his ride along and hearing that truly broke my heart. Our peace officers should feel safe to sit in their car and eat lunch without being harmed. My heart goes out to them. I sincerely hope this world unites sooner than later.

Unfortunately, the heartache continues as once again we wake up to another lost life in law enforcement. Last night a police officer in San Diego was shot and killed, leaving behind a wife and two children. Another officer with him was also shot and injured, he is also a husband and father. I send all my thoughts and prayers to their families, their fellow officers, and all those affected by yet another tragedy in law enforcement. I've never felt so close to their pain. I'm sure all the loved ones of our cadets feel the same way.

- Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment