Monday, August 8, 2016

Day 187-189/194

Friday - Sunday, Week 27!
Week 27 is done! Holy all that is "outstanding" and "nasty" we are onto week 28! Our final week. Grad week. The Capitol Run. Badge Pinning. It is here! We made it!

Life is surreal right now. Everything that we dreamed of for the last 6 months and more is finally here. I can still perfectly remember laying down with Kev looking out his window at this big leafless oak tree outside, while talking with him about what we were going to do if he didn't get that acceptance letter. The very next day, there it was. And here we are today, preparing for graduation from the California Highway Patrol Academy!

Last Friday was a little more hazmat training and a quick test on what they learned - how to identify hazardous chemicals, spills, and to check their hazmat book to identify the specific chemical type. I guess I was mistaken when I said testing was done, they squeezed in one more ;)

Week 28 will wrap up the last of the training - impounding vehicles. According to Kev, that is the last of it, and the remainder of the time will be grad practice! Unfortunately, the Seniors aren't scheduled to run PT for the Juniors like the previous Seniors were able to do. Kev was excited for that opportunity, but for whatever reason there wasn't time for it. Oh well, it's grad week!

I'll be driving up to Sacramento Tuesday night and staying with Kev's brother and sister-in-law for the week. On Wednesday morning, we will watch Kev and the rest of CTC 1-16 run out of the gates of the Academy to the Capitol, followed by a grad party that night. The cadets pay extra dues while at the Academy to cover their party expenses. We are really looking forward to it. On Thursday, I'll attend a few family seminars in the morning with his parents, and on Friday we will all watch Kev receive his badge. His dad will be pinning him that day. He really wanted to give his dad this opportunity. I know it doesn't mean he loves me any less, but I understand the value of giving your parents these little gifts in life while they are with us. Kev tells me we will have many more, and I know he is right. Our journey doesn't stop here.

I have a ton of great grad gift ideas to share too! It was tough to think of thoughtful, sentimental, and useful gifts for a new Officer when this life is so new to me. So, I consulted with a few friends of mine in law enforcement and listened to a couple of things Kev mentioned he wanted to buy right out of the Academy. I'll be sure to share them soon - I just can't quite yet since Kev reads this and hasn't received his gifts yet. Hopefully it will help some of you with a gift for your loved ones in CTC 2-16 or a future class when they make it to graduation day too :)

- Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment