Friday, December 9, 2016

Life As A Trainee, A Girlfriend's Perspective

Well, it's December 9th and we still don't know Kev's Schedule for Phase 4, which happens to fall on Christmas and New Years Eve. My fingers are crossed that we get the holidays together. Selfishly and naively, I am praying for both days. Dream big I say, but don't set yourself up to be disappointed. I'm certainly realistic that Kev likely won't have both days off. I really am okay celebrating Christmas any old day, as long as we are together. New Years Eve is always one of those nights it's nice to have your man by your side though, popping a bottle of champagne and sharing a midnight kiss. It won't be quite the same start to the year if I'm just with my girlfriends and Kev isn't there, but I guess ironically it could be the right start to many more years with a peace officer. For now, we will wait and see what cards we are dealt.

Still, life isn't bad. I see Kev a lot right now. He even picks me up everyday after work because our schedules and commutes line up perfectly. The reports he has to write at home have been light too and usually it's just to finish up. There have also only been a few nights that he runs late. Trainees actually can't sign up for overtime until they are off break-in, so usually the couple hours that run over are because he has to finish something up.

As far as the revelations of phase 3, cop-culture is entirely foreign to me. Kev loves it and definitely "drinks the Koolade" as we call it in my SF tech world. I got to see a glimpse of the culture and socialization of the trainees at the holiday party. There is certainly a division of the veterans and new officers. I suppose they have to prove their worth, their intelligence and ability to handle themselves in a situation others have experienced or one day may experience with this now 'rookie' by their side. I suppose that's the key to earning acceptance into such a fraternal organization. Prove your worth and prove you can be tough when your peers are hard on you. Character is everything. It is a very different world for me, and certainly hard to adjust to sometimes. Kev sometimes compares it to playing sports or being in a college fraternity. Until you can prove to the team that you can score a goal, be reliable defense, or be someone they can trust, you won't be accepted. But once you are, you're family. I certainly saw that closeness in the vets and even some of the officers only a few training classes ahead of Kev.

I think this article describes the culture well.
http://www.criminaljusticedegree.com/the-blue-flame-the-socialization-of-a-rookie/

The Academy is only the first step. It's a quick intro to the socialization process - break you down and then build you up with a cheez-it on your shoulder and an aiguillette. You get 10 days to to relax or hit the beach in Cabo like we did and then suddenly your back at the bottom of the totem pole earning your acceptance with an entirely new set of individuals, washing the patrol cars and putting in your time. When the Academy gets tough, remember why you want it. Be strong, stay level headed and remember that good things don't come easy. It's just the beginning of a life doing what you love, something not many people can say they do.

In other news, another baby was born into the family last night and Kev and I have another little nephew this year!

- Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment