Tuesday, January 19, 2016

2 Weeks To Academy

Good Morning!

This weekend, Kev and I had a nice long weekend together! We know our time is about to be limited, so we are trying to spend as much time together as possible before the academy. We drove up to Kev's family cabin on Friday night when I got off work. Kev has told me so much about the cabin, it's traditions, and the memories there. This was my first time there, so it was exciting to see the place he loves so much.

Kev's youngest brother, sister-in-law, and cousins met up with us too. The cabin is hidden in the hills among massive redwood trees, ferns, and greenery. It was beautiful! The next day Kev drove me around on the ATV to show me the property and told me all the special names each place had, as well as all the things he and his family built. After lunch, Kev and the boys wanted to go shooting. We took the ATVs up to a clearing on their property and the boys set up a couple water jugs and broken clay pigeons for targets. Kev was obviously excited to shoot and get some practice in with the boys before the academy! He taught me to shoot too! That was my first time ever, and it was definitely fun but some of the louder guns were a little intimidating.


There is no cell service at the cabin, so it was really peaceful listening to the rain morning and night. The rest of the weekend we went mudding, exploring, played cards and lounged around. Everyone had a lot to ask Kev about the academy. We were so excited about the academy date when he got the acceptance, but for me that has turned to slight apprehension of the unknown. Even though I am happy for Kev, it is sort of hard for me to talk about it lately. I don't know why I am being so sensitive about it. I guess I am just worried that the stress, uniformity, and authoritarian environment might chip away at his humor and spirit, not to mention I am going to miss his like crazy. However, I completely understand that he does need a strict training environment so that he learns to be alert and safe on the job. I just need to be strong and understanding so that I can support him while he is away. Kev keeps reminding me that everything will be okay, how excited he is, and how great everything will be once he is done - we can move in together and he will have the job of his dreams! True..

Monday morning, we all woke up early to clean up the cabin and lock it up. While his (pregnant) sister-in-law and I worked our butts off in the house, Kev and his brother took the ATV's out to do 'chores' on the property.. ahhh huh! When Kev came back in, he jumped in the downstairs shower to wash the mud off. His brother told me that when they were young, they would bring the hose in the back door and hose whoever was in there with the freezing water from the springs. Lightbulb! We dragged the hose to the bathroom and I snuck in.. prefect timing, Kev was washing his face! We held the hose over the shower door and sprayed him. Kev screamed and flailed while his brother and I were cracking up! It was the perfect end to a weekend of sassy brothers and towel whipping ;) All in all, we couldn't have asked for a better weekend away. It was a perfect get away with Kev and family before he leaves.

- Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment